More than ever, folks are looking for fun and outside of the box ideas to include guests at their wedding reception. You can rest assured that we have you covered.
Fun Wedding Reception Ideas
Today’s “Icebreakers” are used to gain crowd engagement, get more guests on the dance floor and ultimately, make the evening much more enjoyable. The problem lies in that many of these Icebreakers are outdated or overplayed. Sure maybe you saw someone play the shoe game at a wedding you went to, but does it have to be EXACTLY the same at yours? We’d like to think not. To make things unique, inventive and fun on your big day, take a peek at a couple icebreakers below – with a twist!
- In two chairs that are are back to back, the bride and groom will sit.
- Both the bride and groom remove their shoes and exchange one so that they are both holding one of each shoe. The bride will have one of her shoes and one of her partner’s shoes. The groom will have one of his shoes and one of his partner’s shoes.
- During the game, a series of questions are asked, and the answer is either “the bride” or “the groom.” The bride and groom answer by holding up the shoe of the correct answer. For instance, if the question was “Who usually cooks breakfast” and the answer is the groom, they should both hold up the groom’s shoes.
To keep “The Shoe Game” interesting and fun, here’s an idea, lose the shoes! The Bride and Groom should hold a bouquet when the answer is “Bride”, then hold a white linen when the answer is “Groom” (since we all know the groom should raise a white flag more often).
The Dance Off –
- Most adults are slow to the dance floor, so in this instance we want to gather as many kids to the dance floor as possible for a DANCE OFF!
- Invite the adults to circle around them on the dance floor and cheer them on. You can even try pairing some adults up with the kids, to make it interesting.
To make this a bit more exciting, let’s change the terms. Instead of a dance off, lets have an Air Guitar competition – Kids VS Adults! Be sure to pick the right song for this one.
Special Dances –
Father Daughter and Mother Son dances – These are an age old tradition that we would never recommend completely re-inventing, since they’re always extremely moving moments. However, you can certainly put a modern spin on things. About halfway through each song, have your DJ get on the microphone and invite any other mothers and sons or fathers and daughters to the dance floor. They can say, “ladies and gentleman, today the brides father did something very difficult, he gave away his daughter. The bride and groom wanted to invite any other fathers and daughters to the dance floor, to share a dance.” – talk about waterfalls, this is sure to get some emotions rolling!
There are so many ways to get friends and family involved in your big day. Whether it be an old or new idea, we recommend keeping it fun and inventive. We know you’ll never forget that night, try some of these ideas and we know they won’t either!
Complete Weddings + Events | Manhattan, KS
If you’re looking to tie the knot or throw an epic event, you have come to the right place. Complete Weddings + Events, Kansas’ leading provider of event and wedding photography, videography, day-of coordination, lighting, DJ services, & photo booth rental.