One of the first decisions you will make after getting engaged is choosing an event venue for your wedding ceremony and reception. One of the first roadblocks you will encounter is choosing between an outdoor wedding venue or an indoor wedding venue. Some couples prefer the fresh air and natural beauty of the outdoors, while others enjoy the comfort and adaptability of an indoor location. Both options can be done, but here are a few things to consider when making your choice!
Many couples envision getting married under cloudless skies or partying beneath the stars. If you feel absolutely at home in nature, then an outdoor wedding might be your style. Here are a few things to remember when choosing an outdoor venue.
- The Weather – Outdoor weddings allow for beautiful scenery and a natural background to your day. Natural lighting is also a photographer’s best friend. It’s hard to deny stepping outside for some spectacular photos. However, hosting an outdoor wedding becomes significantly more challenging when weather takes a turn for the worst. Some venues allow couples to move their event inside in that case that Mother Nature changes her plans, but it’s always a good idea to have a back-up location ready.
- Venues in High Demand – Wedding season occurs during some of the warmest months of the year. Since outdoor weddings can only take place during the warmer seasons, demand for the best locations is high. To lock down your dream venue, we recommend you reserve your venue as soon as possible.
- Rental Costs – While most indoor venues come equipped with some tables and chairs, outdoor wedding venues come as a clean slate. You’ll probably need to rent a tent to provide protection, even against the best of conditions. It’s also a good idea to provide other necessities such as portable restrooms, dance floor and ceremony arbor along with the normal décor. In short, be prepared put aside a large part of your budget to decorate your wedding.
- Family Friendly Option – Invite the whole family and the pets too! Outdoor weddings provide lots of room for children to run around and let out pint-up energy which might make them more behaved for the duration of the wedding. Break out some lawn games to keep the little ones, as well as the adults, occupied.
If you plan to have your wedding at your place of worship or in a grand ballroom, choose to have your event indoors. Check out some of our pros and cons.
- Controlled Atmosphere – If you are someone who doesn’t like surprises or wants to be in charge of all aspects of your day, you might want to choose an indoor venue as there are less unforeseeable logistics to worry about. You don’t have to worry about making backup plans in the case of bad weather as most indoor venues are suitable year-round. Indoor weddings tend to generally be more comfortable as they have another wonderful thing called air conditioning! You don’t have to worry about being over-heated during the summer or freezing during the colder months.
- Limited Spacing – Indoor venues limit the amount of available space. If you’re planning a big wedding, you may be hard-pressed to find a venue that fits everyone on your guest list.
- Endless Decoration Opportunities – The best part about planning an indoor celebration is that you can transform the space into anything you’d like. Any venue can lend itself to fit your wedding vision. It can also be transformed to feel like you are outside with lavish greenery and decadent floral arrangements. The possibilities are boundless, safer, and more cost-effective.
Mix It Up
Who says that you can’t do both! Enjoy both settings by exchanging vows outside and then move the party inside or vice versa. Many venues offer a combination of indoor and outdoor event spaces so knock yourselves out. In the end, it’s your wedding day, make it what you want!
Complete Weddings + Events Manhattan, Kansas
Whether you want one service or all six, we specialize in creating custom packages for our couples to meet their needs and budget. Tailoring each of our services to reflect your style and vision and allowing you to be a part of the planning process every step of the way. The best part is you get a team of professionals to help with all the details from our knowledgeable office staff, in-house full-time wedding planner, and experienced event staff, we have you covered and want your planning process to be a stress-free experience.
Check out our service pages to learn more about how we can COMPLETE your event!