When it comes to wedding planning, there are usually two kinds of planners in a relationship. The one that plans everything, and the one that waits to get told what to do. Each comes with its own pros and cons. We have some tips on wedding duties for the non-planner to get them to pick up their slack!
The Big Picture
Before you even begin planning, spend some time together envisioning your wedding day. What style of wedding do you want? How big do you want the party? What’s the vibe?
Answering these questions is an essential part of wedding planning. Then, brainstorm some vendors you’ll need for your wedding day. You’re currently on a website that offers a good chunk of them. Once you’ve figured that out, go on to the next step.
Assign Some Wedding Duties
Based on your vision, now assign each other some wedding duties. These can intertwine with your natural interests. If your partner is really into music, give the role of finding a Fort Myers wedding DJ to them. If they have a creative eye, give them the role of finding the decor. Lastly, if they are indifferent, give them the things that you’re not too excited about. This can be done three months at a time. Make sure to check back in with each other to make sure you’re both still on the same path for your vision.
The Guest List
Ahh the guest list. This is one of the most important parts of wedding planning. It can be tedious but it’s generally a pretty easy task. Start by drafting a guest list of both sides of the family. The best advice we can give you is to use a spreadsheet or wedding planning tools like The Knot (which can be linked to your wedding invites). It’ll take the guessing of what information you’ll need out of the way.
If you decide to skip The Knot, you’ll generally need your guest list’s addresses, phone numbers, emails, and any food allergies that they have.
Keep Track of Wedding Costs
Keeping track of wedding costs ties with your budgeting. Every time you book a wedding vendor, make sure you’re noting how much it all costs. Most importantly, track the payments made towards those vendors. The last thing you’d want is to overpay or even worse, think you’re done with payments when you’re not!
More Wedding Duties For Non-Planners
- Choosing Caterer or Meal (taste testing included!)
- Find a Cake Provider (or, if applicable, the groom’s cake)
- Reserving the Rehearsal Dinner Location
- Choosing and Buying or Renting their Attire (or their respective groomsmen and/or bridesmaids’ attire)
- Buy Gifts for Your Best Man, Maid-of-Honor, Groomsmen, Bridesmaids, Ring Bearer, and/or Flower Girl
- Hiring a Fort Myers DJ or Band
- Choosing the Reception Entrance Song
- Choosing the First Dance Song
- Choosing a few Must-Play Songs for the Dance Floor
- Hiring a Party Bus or Shuttle
- Creating your List of Guests to Invite
- Apply for the Marriage License
- Selecting the Honeymoon Destination
Bottom line, you’re not in this alone. Your wedding day is for both you and your fiance. Make sure you each have a say and a voice in planning the perfect wedding day. You might be surprised what you can both come up with together as a team!