Choosing vendors for your big day can be quite difficult, especially when it comes to photographers. You need to be very careful when choosing the person who will capture the best moments of your life. Therefore, this is a decision that you shouldn’t take lightly. If you’re not sure where to begin, we have a list of essential questions for wedding photographers in Houston to ease up your planning process. These questions will help you find someone who meets your expectations and make picture-perfect photos of your day.
When it comes to questions for wedding photographers, you need to begin with the basics. These primary questions will save you time to see whether you are aiming for the right photographer in terms of logistics.
- Are you available for our wedding date?
- Is our wedding the only one you will be shooting that weekend?
- Do you work alone or with an assistant?
- Do you offer a second shooter?
- Are there travel fees to get to our venue and photo shoot locations?
- What communication will there be leading up to the event?
Remember that these photographer questions are key to choosing who to hire. You want to consider everything you are looking for during this process. Many brides overlook the communication aspect! If you want someone who will answer the phone whenever you need to answer any questions, you definitely want to make sure you don’t book someone who only communicates through email. If the answers don’t fit into your bridal agenda, then you might want to move on to the next photographer for an interview.
Experience and Style
Once you see the person you want to hire is available for your date, you can begin discussing details. The next set of photographer questions should relate to their photography style and experience. You will want to see whether they match your bridal shots’ vision. Be sure to pay attention to how they interact as well! This is someone you will be in close proximity with for long periods of time and they will be directing you for poses and things. You want to make sure they are someone that you at the least get along with!
- How long have you been in the industry of wedding photography?
- How many weddings have you done?
- Can we see some of your work from previous wedding celebrations?
- Have you ever worked at the venue we have selected?
- Have you ever collaborated with the vendors we have chosen for our wedding?
- Do you specialize in candid moments or staged photographs?
- Do you shoot films or digitally?
- What is your photography editing style?
Learning more about the photographer’s style and experience will help you make the right decision. If you already have an idea of how you would like your photographs to turn out, then express that to them to help make sure the photos are edited to your preferences. If you have examples, that is even better! It is important that you and the photographer or editor are on the same page to get the desired results.
Packages and Prices
Pricing is definitely one of the most important questions for wedding photographers. However, don’t forget to consider their style, too. In other words, prices can sometimes cloud your judgment, so make sure to learn about the other details before you talk money.
- How many packages do you offer?
- Do you offer customized packages that fit our wedding requirements?
- Do you offer photo sessions, such as engagement portraits before the main event?
- How many hours does each package include?
- Are editing services included in the packages?
- Are there any hidden fees, such as travel fees?
- Do you offer albums and prints or a print release?
- What is the turnaround time for receiving the photos?
- Do you offer payment plans?
- What are your extra time rates if we do plan to extend our time on the day of the event?
- What is your cancellation or rescheduling policy?
Asking the right questions for wedding photographers will get you the person you need for your big day. As we mentioned, this is not a decision you should make quickly, so take your time to make the right choice.