Fort Myers, FL
Changing Your Name in Fort Myers After Marriage

Changing Your Name in Fort Myers After Marriage


Getting married is a significant milestone in life, and for many individuals, it often involves a name change. If you’re a newlywed in Fort Myers and considering changing your name after marriage, it’s essential to understand the process and requirements involved. This blog post will serve as a guide to help you navigate the name change process and ensure a smooth transition into your new identity.

Changing Your Name in Fort Myers After Marriage: A Guide to the Process and Requirements

1. Obtain Your Marriage Certificate

Before proceeding with any name change process, ensure that you have a certified copy of your marriage certificate. This is issued by the county clerk’s office where you obtained your marriage license. The marriage certificate is a vital document that serves as legal proof of your marriage and is required when changing your name on various official documents.

2. Update Your Social Security Card

The first step in changing your name after marriage is to update your Social Security card. Visit your local Social Security Administration (SSA) office in Fort Myers and complete the application for a new Social Security card. You will need to provide your marriage certificate as proof of your name change, along with other identification documents. Once your application is processed, you will receive a new Social Security card with your updated name.

3. Update Your Driver’s License or State ID

After updating your Social Security card, the next important step is to update your driver’s license or state ID. In Fort Myers, this process can be done at a local driver’s license office. Bring your updated Social Security card, marriage certificate, and current driver’s license or state ID to the office. The DMV staff will process your application and issue a new driver’s license or state ID with your new name. It’s worth noting that there may be a fee for obtaining a new driver’s license or state ID.

4. Update Your Passport

If you have a passport, updating it with your new name is highly recommended. This ensures that your travel documents align with your new legal name. To update your passport, you will need to submit a passport application, a current passport, a certified copy of your marriage certificate, a passport photo, and the required fees. Visit the official website of the U.S. Department of State for detailed instructions and to download the passport application form.

5. Notify Other Government Agencies

In addition to updating your Social Security card, driver’s license, and passport, it’s crucial to notify other government agencies of your name change. Some agencies to consider include:

  •  IRS: Inform the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of your name change by filing Form SS-5 and mailing it to the appropriate IRS office. You may also need to update your tax withholding information with your employer.
  • Florida Voter Registration: Update your name with the Florida Division of Elections to ensure your voter registration is accurate. Visit their website for instructions on updating your voter registration information.

6. Update Financial and Legal Documents

Once you have notified government agencies, it’s essential to update your name on financial and legal documents. This includes:

  •  Banks and Credit Cards: Contact your bank and credit card companies to update your account information. They may require a copy of your marriage certificate as proof of your name change.
  • Insurance Providers: Notify your health, auto, home, and any other insurance providers of your name change. This ensures that your policies are in your new name.
  • Employment Records: Update your name with your employer’s human resources department. This includes your payroll records, email address, and any other work-related documentation.
  • Legal Documents: Update your name on legal documents such as your will, power of attorney, and any property or asset titles. Consult an attorney if you have questions about the process.

7. Inform Other Organizations and Institutions

Beyond government agencies and financial institutions, it’s important to inform other organizations and institutions of your name change. Some common ones include:

  •  Utilities and Service Providers: Contact your utility companies (electricity, water, gas, etc.) and service providers (internet, cable, phone, etc.) to update your account information.
  •  Medical Providers: Notify your healthcare providers, including doctors, dentists, and specialists, of your name change. This ensures that your medical records and future appointments are under your new name.
  •  Professional Associations: If you belong to any professional associations or licensing boards, inform them of your name change to update your membership records.

Changing Your Name in Fort Myers, FL After Marriage

Changing your name after marriage in Fort Myers involves several important steps and considerations. From updating your Social Security card and driver’s license to notifying government agencies, financial institutions, and other organizations, it’s essential to follow the proper procedures to ensure a smooth transition. By understanding the requirements and taking the necessary steps, you can successfully change your name after marriage and embrace your new identity as a married individual in Fort Myers.

Complete Weddings + Events – Fort Myers Weddings Done Right

Remember, at Complete Weddings + Events Fort Myers, we are passionate about creating memories that will last a lifetime. Our team of professionals knows just how to create the perfect day and keep the energy high all night long! Contact us today to discuss your wedding or event and let us bring the celebration to life!


Naples, Cape Coral, Fort Myers leading provider of event and wedding photography, videography, lighting, DJ services, coordination, & photo booth rental.

Request Pricing & Availability